Thursday 8 April 2010

Hare & Hounds Day 1 & 2

With so much choice over Easter shows-wise, and no flyball, we eventually chose to make the trip up to Barnard Castle. The class choice was huge, Jet had 5/6 runs each day, plus juniors with Cat.


Her first run of the show was junior agility. I was a bit iffy as to whether I should inflict her on Cat for this run, as first run she can be a bit crazy. After watching a few dogs run, I decided they should just go for it and went and got Jetly. They were both ace, it was an elimination but only really because I hadn’t walked it with them! She was a speedy girl and was running on ahead brilliantly.


Next run was 1-3 jumping (I’ve put the courses up on here). It wasn’t my ideal first course of the weekend for us, as it involved tunnel discrimination and I was adamant we’d mess up. Anyway, she set off brilliantly and skipped the last pole of the weaves(!!!). I’m not quite sure why, but the rest of the run was beautiful and she was so smooth – it was the best I’d seen any dog handle the tunnel entries.


We followed it up with 1-4 jumping, which was an easy course but I didn’t leave her in a wait long enough. It was a jump, straight tunnel start, and I wanted to cross in front of her. She set off faster than I expected and there was no way I could do what I wanted to. We kind of wrote that run off a bit as I handled it in a kind of improvised manner!


Doc’s Graded1-4 Agility was next up. It was a nice course, and I thought we could give it a good go. She set off nicely and did a beautiful dogwalk and lined herself up nicely for the seesaw. I was a bit over cautious with her weaves but she was fine. I handled 12-15 more or less from the end of the weaves and then ran to meet her at the Aframe. She was a little bit wide around 19 but she had done it clear. She then proceeded to jump up at me in joy and whack my tooth, so she had a good play of tuggy with Leanne whilst I stood in pain going “ooowwhh”. That was the first run in a long time where I went out really wanting to push her for the win; usually I go and just want a nice clear and some consistency. I’m not quite sure what came over me lol! Anyway, she came 3rd (30.14s) and the winner was in 29.96s, so it was very close. I was also shocked to see she’d have placed 2nd in the grade 4 part, and the winner was in 29.95s.




Our last run of the day was Rosie Pearson’s c1-3 agility. The classes were running through really quickly, and I must admit I missed walking the course. I stood and watched the class for a while, watching to see how people with similar dogs to Jet handled it. My first concern was 4-6, as I wanted to be on the left of the dogwalk and I wasn’t sure if I’d have time to cross. In the end I did manage it between 5 and 6 with a front cross. I did however nearly fall over 6 – not that Jet noticed. My next concern was 9-15. I wanted to be on the right of the weaves as firstly her reading of rear crosses needs a lot of work and secondly on the other side I thought she might think I wanted her to go into the tunnel after the weaves. I was very brave, and as soon as I know she’d clocked the tunnel, I ran to the dogwalk side of 12 and kept my arm up to ensure she went over 11. She hit the weaves and did the rest cracking! She maybe hesitated a bit on the aframe and I know the dogwalk could have been faster, but she ended up 5th! Not too bad as the classes were huge.



Last run was juniors with Cat, this time jumping. She was a good girly again, but kept looking at me on the line. However as soon as Cat lead out in front of the jump and told her to wait, she was focussed and was fixated on her. She did some lovely weaves and a nice run with a couple of little mistakes!


Saturday was a total washout! We woke up and looked out of the caravan window and thought noooo. The show organisers said they’d wait until lunchtime to see what happened, but unfortunately by about 9am it wasn’t getting any better and they called the whole day off. A few people left, but the majority did stick it out I think.

tbc....

No comments: